Four Riverhead firefighters receive Medal of Valor for heroic late-night rescue of unconscious man from burning homeFour Riverhead firefighters involved in the heroic rescue of an unconscious man from a burning home last year were among those honored by the Vocational Education and Extension Board of Suffolk County with the prestigious Medal of Valor award.
- A large wooden storage building at a Sound Avenue business in Northville burned to the ground early this morning, but Jamesport firefighters were able to prevent it from spreading to two other attached structures.
- The auction will feature 100 vehicles including sedans, pickup trucks, vans, SUVs and motorcycles. All vehicles are sold in “as is” condition and all sales are final. Preview times will be held Sept. 29 and 30.
Joe’s Crab Shack shuts down Riverhead restaurant; struggling chain’s Northeast restaurants performed poorly, CEO saysJoe’s Crab Shack has closed its doors for good at the Route 58, Riverhead location.
A Sunday morning stroll with a purpose: Tanger 5K steps off to raise money for North Fork Breast Health CoalitionMore than 300 people — breast cancer survivors, family members, friends and supporters — took the North Fork Breast Health Coalition’s 18th annual 5K walk Sunday morning at Tanger Outlets in Riverhead.
- A 25-year-old Riverhead man was charged with grand larceny and DWAI after a police officer spotted him operating a vehicle that had been reported stolen from a parking lot adjacent to McDermott Avenue, according to a news release.
- A man was beaten and robbed at knifepoint on West Second Street Friday night at about 9:20 p.m.
- A pedestrian was seriously injured when she was struck by a car as she attempted to cross Route 58 Friday night, according to Riverhead Town Police. It was the third serious vehicle-pedestrian accident this month on the five-lane county highway.
- Angry words flew at the Board of Education meeting last night over the question of how much salary and other information should be provided to the public about employee salaries ...
- The Monarchs fell to Mattituck 7-1 yesterday in Mattituck. Photo gallery.
- Despite a stellar defense Riverhead lost a tightly played game 2-1.
- Developer David Gallo of Georgica Green Ventures today unveiled his plans for a 118-unit apartment building with ground-floor shops and restaurants on McDermott Avenue in downtown Riverhead.
- Designated bike routes are not really the “bicycle paths” the signs imply, but often merely the narrowest of shoulders at best.
- Get out your bicycle and join the Rec Department’s Bike to Breakfast – a great way to make new friends, get some exercise, and spend time with family, too.
- Anglers brought in sea bass, blues, fluke, porgy and scup on local waters.
- Blass proposes a new law would require an internet defamer to post a retraction in the same venue of social media everywhere the libel originally appeared. And the original statement would be forever deleted.
- Note to self: Don’t leave the husband home alone with too few chores, the TV remote and a charge card.
- This week’s soup recipe really takes advantage of our local farms’ bountiful harvests.
- “It’s a shame what this town is turning into.”
- The silent darkness of the middle of the night can be the best time to not only speak to God but to hear him speak to you too.
- Unwinding with sistafriends in any way is a gift. Here’s to making the most of it – with or without wine.
- Zika virus, which has swept through South and Central Americas and has been reported in every state in the continental U.S. except Wyoming, is not likely to reach epidemic proportions ...
- Worried about Zika virus? Learn the latest updates at the talk by an infectious disease specialist at PBMC.
- Riverhead surgeon Dr. Agostino Cervone performed an umbilical hernia repair using a new technique and instrumentation.
Public Meetings Calendar