Riverhead Raceway plans grand opening with fireworks this weekend to celebrate ‘virtually new’ racetrackRiverhead Raceway is planning a grand opening celebration Saturday, May 7 with a fireworks show and feature racing, unveiling months of extensive renovations to the public for the first time.
Legislators green-light Crescent Duck Farm request for $250,000 grant for new facility to reduce pollution, odorsThe grant would cover about 40 percent of the cost of the new enclosed storage facility. The full legislature will vote on the measure at its May 10 general meeting in Riverhead.
- Riverhead Police today released a surveillance camera image of a man they said broke into the Express Deli and Café early last Thursday morning.
- Police seek the public’s help in the investigation of shots fired at a parked van on Kay Road at about 3:15 Friday morning.
For Kent Animal Shelter, search for a new home continues as support for expansion plan in Calverton remains elusiveKent Animal Shelter outgrew its cramped, deteriorating facilities at the edge of the Pine Barrens many years ago, but its plans for expansion are no closer to approval today than they were in 2012, when Kent first proposed them.
FOLD Festival announces this year’s headliners: Joe Jonas, Earth Wind & Fire, Bette Midler, KC & the Sunshine BandPromoters announced the headliners of the 2016 FOLD Festival today on the event’s website.
- A drug take-back event at Peconic Bay Medical Center collected an astounding 163 pounds of prescription and over-the-counter medications, bringing the total number of drugs collected to more than 1,500 pounds since 2014.
- What are you doing Saturday morning? Riverhead Town wants you. Spend a few hours picking up litter and making Riverhead cleaner. Join the annual Litter Awareness and Spring Cleanup Day on Saturday, May 7.
One of New York’s largest hop farms takes root in Mattituck, aiming to serve the region’s expanding craft brewing industryTwo old friends who share a love of craft beer are establishing a 20-acre hop farm on the North Fork that represents nearly 10 percent of all the acreage currently devoted to commercial hop production in New York State.
- This year’s Run to Remember 5k, scheduled for Sunday May 15, will honor Riverhead students, alumni and faculty who lost their lives too soon.
- The Riverhead Blue Waves cruised to victory over Brentwood today, 14-4.
- Both offense and defense played hard for the Waves, with Jacob Coleman as goaltender making several brilliant saves throughout, but it just wasn’t enough to overcome Patriots.
- Mattituck handily defeated McGann-Mercy by a score of 15-0 today on the Monarch’s home field.
Zeldin: Combatting opioid epidemic requires more funding for treatment, education and law enforcementCongressman Lee Zeldin: In the coming weeks, Congress will take up legislation to provide funding for a three-pronged approach to combat the heroin and opioid abuse epidemic.
- “It looks like pedophile Underoos.” The Dri-FIT Captain America shirt was just the latest in a long line of “hell no” fashion felonies perpetrated by Brian.
- When your chocolate craving just has to be satisfied, here’s a way to take everyone down the sweet-tooth spiral with you.
- A bill that would limit nitrogen content in lawn and garden fertilizer is being drafted by County Legislator Bill Lindsay.
- Why all East End residents need to embrace local agriculture, support it and promote it.
- What happens when you’re so busy and tired that the little things that you used to take care of quickly get passed off to others? Well, you end up standing in your tiny half-bathroom, looking your plumber in the eye as he tells you, “You’re going to have to write a blog about this.”
- Thomas F. Mannino, MD has been appointed chief of radiology and associate chief medical officer at Peconic Bay Medical Center. Mannino, board-certified in radiology and nuclear medicine, has been employed as ...
It’s in your genes: DNA test by Riverhead grad tells you how you should eat, sleep and work out, based off geneticsA DNA test developed by a 26-year-old Riverhead grad provides advice for diet, sleep, exercise and more, based on genetic science.
No more paper scripts: Doctors required to send prescriptions electronically to pharmacies starting next weekThe law is intended to cut down the number of fraudulent and stolen prescriptions, which will in turn combat prescription drug abuse, according to Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Public Meetings Calendar