- New York Blood Center has announced a blood emergency. Many blood types are in extremely short supply. Riverhead Community Blood Drive is set for Tuesday, December 6 at Riverhead Fire Department headquarters, at 540 Roanoke Avenue from 1 to 7 p.m.
- Santa and Mrs. Claus rolled into town this afternoon in the Riverhead Lions Club annual Santa parade.
- Hundreds gathered on the Peconic Riverfront last night for the 17th Annual Holiday Bonfire, where they enjoyed carols, cocoa and Santa Claus.
- Riverhead’s indoor farmer’s market is open for its fourth annual season today and every Saturday through April 29 at 117 East Main Street. The market’s hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free.
- Riverhead Country Day School, which has operated for more than 23 years at a town-owned facility at Stotzky Park is closing its doors at the end of this month.
- The event draws hundreds to the Big Duck each year for carols, the lighting of the duck and a special visit from Father Christmas himself.
- More than a hundred people turned out for the Jamesport Fire Department’s annual tree-lighting ceremony and Santa visit last night at the George Young Community Center.
- The Suffolk County Police Department Impound Section will hold a vehicle auction on Saturday, Dec. 3 at 9 a.m. at the department’s impound yard in Westhampton.
Autism support group ‘Families in Arms’ sending 6-year-old local student and his family on first-ever Disney vacationSix-year-old Shoreham-Wading River student Anthony Belvedere and his family is being sent on the Disney vacation thanks to Families in Arms.
‘One of the very fortunate few’: Diagnosed when it meant near-certain death, local lawyer reflects on 26 years HIV-positiveOn the eve of World AIDS Day, Riverhead attorney Adam Grossman looks back on 26 years of life since his diagnosis with HIV in 1990, before the advent of the effective drug treatments that keep the virus at bay.
Suffolk Justice visits Riverhead class to answer questions about the law, criminal justice and students’ rightsThe Honorable William B. Rebolini, a Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice, gave a presentation in a U.S. History and Government class at Riverhead High School.
- McGann-Mercy boys lost to William Floyd 63-38, in a non-league matchup at McGann-Mercy High School yesterday.
- Independent swimmer and Blue Waves freshman Brianna Cybulski has been competing for the last three seasons as an independent swimmer for Riverhead.
- Real estate transfers reported by the Suffolk County Clerk in the towns of Riverhead and Southold.
- The move by the county to cut public bus routes to help ease it fiscal mess is a big step backwards.
- It may take God years to respond to prayers, but the season of Advent reminds us that waiting in joyful expectation will be rewarded with an answer in the time He knows is right.
I ♥ my social media network of kindred misfits and miscreants, willing to let it all hang out in a world of fake perfectionApparently most people only put their best face forward on their social media. Not in Laurie’s “echo chamber,” where it’s one hot mess after another.
- Long work days or afternoons filled with holiday lists that only seem to get longer are in need of a perfect ending. This velvety smooth, creamy tomato soup with cheesy croutons will do the trick.
- How an ongoing 30-year research study of 678 nuns shows the connection of gratitude and a positive life outlook on physical and mental health and longevity.
- We may deviate from the norm, sometimes more than a bit, but it’s our crazy and I’m always thankful for it.
Bucking staff recommendation, health committee approves cardiac cath labs for both Riverhead and SouthamptonA state public health committee today decided to ignore the recommendations of department of health staff, which picked Peconic Bay Medical Center as the sole East End site for a ...
A ‘race’ for East End cardiac cath lab: State to decide between Peconic Bay and Southampton for much-needed facility“We are in a race to get a cardiac cath lab in the Town of Riverhead,” Supervisor Sean Walter said last week. The state health department will approve only one ...
- Trying to quit smoking? This program may be one way to help you kick the habit.
Public Meetings Calendar