Plumbers Local Union 200 will conduct a recruitment from January 18 through March 29 for 20 plumber apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced yesterday.
Applications must be completed — in person only — at Local Union 200, 375 Central Avenue, Bohemia from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Wednesday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. All applications must be received by March 29.
The union requires that applicants:
- must be at least 18 years old.
- must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED).
- must be a resident of Nassau or Suffolk County at time of application.
- must have a valid NYS driver’s license in order to operate company vehicles.
- must submit to a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- must purchase text materials for related instruction classes, as required (average $200 per year).
- must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest N.Y. State Department of Labor office or Local Union 200 at (631) 567-3083.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.