Gene Casey & the Lone Sharks, Who Are Those Guys headline dance concert at Martha Clara to help feed the hungryThe annual Charitable Giving Fundraiser at Martha Clara Vineyards has helped the Twomey, Latham law firm and Suffolk County National Bank raise $10,000 for East End food pantries each year for the past several years.
- Photos: The Riverhead Fire Department Ironmen Drill Team held its 7th Annual Spaghetti Dinner Saturday night at RFD headquarters.
- Kent Animal Shelter offers $20 Beat The Heat cat spaying campaign during February
- More than 300 people turned out for the 8th Annual “Rockin’ for the Homeless” event last night at Polish Hall in Riverhead. Volunteers served up hamburgers, hot dogs and kielbasa to guests who danced the night away to the sounds of Gene Casey and the Lone Sharks, Who Art Those ...
Fourth of July parade, Colonial Ball and other events discussed for Riverhead’s 225th birthday celebration next yearTo celebrate Riverhead’s 225th birthday next year, a series of events are being discussed for 2017, including a Fourth of July parade, a colonial-era ball and educational events on local history.
- Lost: Jada, a friendly miniature pinscher, female, wearing a pink collar. Lost since Monday, Jan. 25 at about 5 p.m. from her home in John Wesley Village on Middle Road in Riverhead.
- Photos taken around Riverhead following the winter storm ‘Jonas,’ a Nor’easter that left about 15-18 inches of snow here.
Local fire and rescue crews remain on standby overnight at their headquarters to respond during blizzard: photosA big LOCAL shout out to the dozens of volunteers on standby tonight at their headquarters, waiting to respond to emergency calls in treacherous blizzard conditions.
- A powerful Nor’easter slammed Long Island and New York City on Jan. 23, closing stores, banks and businesses across Long Island and paralyzing transportation across the region. The governor, county executive and town supervisor all issued declarations of a state of emergency this morning. RiverheadLOCAL photos by Peter Blasl
Laurel man who lost brother to heroin overdose launches crusade to educate families in the battle against addictionPaul Maffetone, who lost his 29-year-old brother Michael to a heroin overdose in 2012, formed the nonprofit Michael’s Hope, who’s mission is to raise awareness about the heroin epidemic on Long Island. He’s hosting educational presentations and Narcan trainings across Long Island, including one in Mattituck on Feb. 4.
- Riverhead Police Officer Sean Mackie was honored as police officer of the year by the Riverhead Police Benevolent Association Saturday night at its annual installation dinner-dance. Mackie was tapped for the honor because of “his passion to do the job, to protect and serve the people of the Town of Riverhead,” ...