East End Arts string students to play under the baton of Itzhak Perlman at Southold High School next weekYoung string students at East End Arts are practicing hard for the opportunity to play for violin virtuoso and renowned maestro Itzhak Perlman.
- There will be music, entertainment, goodies and fun for the whole family on Osborn Avenue Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. to celebrate the library’s 120th birthday.
When fake bomb is tossed into NYPD van, Riverhead grad heroically tries to save ‘as many people as possible’Peter Cybulski, a 2009 Riverhead grad, was sitting in a parked patrol car in Times Square last night when a man pulled up beside him, threw a package into the car’s window, and zoomed away.
- Riverhead Fire Department hosted its 30th Annual Motorized Tournament yesterday, where 15 departments from across Suffolk County competed. Photo gallery.
- Chief Kevin Brooks, who took the helm of the department this spring, sits down for an interview with RiverheadLOCAL to talk about the volunteer fire service and the role of the department’s four chiefs.
On a perfect summer evening, big crowd turns out for Jamesport Fire Department parade and carnival: photo slideshowIt was a perfect evening for a parade and carnival in Jamesport. Photo slideshow from the 61st annual Jamesport Fire Department parade and carnival last night.
Locals Making a Difference
Cleaning up streets — and lives: Riverhead man helps recovering addicts after his own battle with addictionBobby Hartmann Jr.’s road to recovery led him to starting a Riverhead company that operates sober homes and a new non-profit to assist people recovering from drug and alcohol addiction.
Riverhead’s Alive on 25 street festival debuts this Thursday with outdoor dining, band stages on Main StreetRiverhead’s new summer street festival will kick off this Thursday evening with outdoor street dining at downtown restaurants, pop-up musical festival performances, artist exhibitions and plenty of family friendly activities.
- Here’s the lineup for the this summer’s Friday Night Concert Series presented by Riverhead Townscape in Grangebel Park.
- The annual event hosted by the Riverhead Business Improvement District drew the biggest crowd yet for music, fireworks and fun on the riverfront.
- Sea Tow Foundation is offering boaters peace of mind on the water with emergency beacon rentals available online thanks to a donation by a Florida manufacturer.
New wildlife identification sign for downtown riverfront boardwalk will be designed by Riverhead grad“The Peconic Estuary is a super unique ecosystem with lots of wildlife, and it’s in the heart of downtown,” said Holly Williams, who graduated from Riverhead High School in 2011. “People are there all the time. It’s a good opportunity for them to learn about what they see there.”
- Celebrate the Fourth of July on the North Fork with carnivals, parades, fireworks and other patriotic festivities.
A venti latte and a bundle of joy to go: Woman gives birth to baby girl in Starbucks parking lot in ManorvilleA woman in labor was on her way to the hospital when she realized she wouldn’t make it. With the help of a Suffolk County 911 operator, her husband delivered their daughter in the car in the Starbucks parking lot.
- Five calves have been birthed in just the past week at Goodale Farms in Riverhead, with one more on the way.