Photos: Colorful chalk art decorates Riverhead’s Main Street in 20th annual street painting festivalDowntown Riverhead was jamming today with chalk artists, craft vendors and musicians for the 20th Annual Community Mosaic Street Painting Festival produced by East End Arts.
- Thousands of volunteers decorated more than 230,000 graves at Calverton National Cemetery with small U.S. flags in the 22nd annual flag placement day conducted by Suffolk County scout troops.
Fallen deputy sheriffs and correction officers remembered in ceremonies at Suffolk correctional facilitySuffolk correction officers and deputy sheriffs who died in service were honored today at a memorial service at the Suffolk County Correctional Facility in Riverside.
After selling 500+ American flags, Peconic Bay Medical Center donates proceeds to VA during Memorial Day ceremonyPeconic Bay Medical Center held a Memorial Day ceremony this afternoon, featuring performances by the Riverhead Middle School band. The ceremony marked the end of a fundraiser sale of American flags in the hospital’s gift shop, where more than 500 flags were sold for $5 each. Proceeds from the fundraiser benefitted the Northport Veterans Administration Medical ...
- The Community Mosaic Street Painting Festival, the first of its kind on Long Island, marks its 20th anniversary Sunday. The popular annual event is being honored this year with a Smart Growth Award from Vision Long Island “for creating a sense of place providing arts, music and culture” downtown.
- The Hispanic Youth Leadership Club is a place where Latino students can be themselves and an opportunity for them to make a positive difference in the Riverhead community.
- Local restaurants, wineries and breweries strutted their stuff yesterday at the sold-out “Rotary Uncorked!” event at Martha Clara Vineyards.
Her spirits strong, Riverhead college student Reilly Butler, 21, battles rare type of brain cancer at University of KentuckyThe 2013 Riverhead High School grad was diagnosed shortly after she celebrated her 21st birthday while a student in Lexington, Kentucky, where she’s being treated for the disease. A fundraiser is set for tomorrow in Mattituck to raise money for the children’s oncology clinic treating her as well as for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation.
- Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance Corps had a great turnout at this year’s open house on Sunday afternoon.
- A graduate of the CAP program while a student at Pulaski Street school, Riverhead Town’s first Hispanic cop is now a CAP volunteer and role model who the kids relate to and respect.
- The Washington Engine Company ex-captain and retired Riverhead police officer was fêted at at dinner in his honor earlier this month.
- During the month of June Kent Animal Shelter is offering a limited number of special $20 fees to spay/neuter kittens and puppies less than 6 months old.
- Dozens of kids hoping to win a brand-new bicycle participated in the annual bike rodeo hosted by the Riverhead Police Athletic League yesterday morning at Stotzky Park.
- The final production of ‘Riverhead Idol’ takes place tomorrow, May 22. Next year, the popular vocal showcase will give way to a ‘Riverhead’s Got Talent’ competition, in which singing and other talents will be showcased.
- The Long Island chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association has opened a satellite office in Riverhead to support those living with or caring for persons with dementia.