- A winter storm warning has been issued for Suffolk County for 3 a.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow. The National Weather Service in Upton is forecasting strong winds and heavy snow with accumulations of 4 to 8 inches. Snow will develop late tonight, the weather service said. Winds out of the northeast will ...
- A Southampton parolee with a history of felony drug convictions is facing new felony drug charges after a traffic stop by Riverhead Police on Riverside Drive last night.
- About 300,000 bunker died of “mass asphyxiation” caused by nitrogen-fueled algal blooms in the Peconic River last summer, the study said.
Winter storm leaves more than 3,600 without power in Riverhead-Riverside, as weather service ups snow total again(Updated 10:55 a.m.) A circuit problem left a large swath of central Riverhead without power, and power lines are arcing and burning in several places. The weather service has increased forecast snow amounts to 5-10 in.
- Firefighters found a vehicle fully engulfed in flames when they responded to a call for downed and arcing wires on West Main Street. Live wires landed under the car parked and set it ablaze.
‘A powerful week’ for Michael’s Hope: Laurel man’s group hosts first Narcan training and earns tax-exempt statusMore than 100 people turned out for the first community Narcan training hosted by Michael’s Hope, an organization founded by a Laurel man inspired by his brother’s heroin overdose death to combat the deadly drug.
- List of local closings and cancellations due to the winter storm warning in effect for Friday, Feb. 5.
- Riverhead Police today arrested a Wading River man in connection with the armed robbery of a Wading River gas station in during last month’s blizzard. Police said Kevin P. Warner, 20, was charged with first-degree robbery in the gunpoint hold-up of the Valero station on Route 25A in Wading River. Warner was ...
- Parents Amelia and David Lantz have made it a family tradition to cook and present a typical French luncheon and dessert for a Riverhead Middle School French class – first ...
- The Blue Waves improved to 12-1 in League III and 13-3 overall with a blowout win over Centereach last night, during their last home game of the regular season.
- the Blue Waves are still one win away from securing a playoff berth after today’s 64-38 loss to Smithtown West.
- The Blue Waves (10-1 League III, 12-3 overall) had no issues flying past Smithtown East, 64-44, during a game in which they never trailed.
- You try your best to raise them right. Just when you’re feeling like things are turning out really well, something happens to make you realize you’ve failed to impart very basic life skills.
- Is ex-chief James Burke’s indictment the tip of the iceberg — a fragment of a broader federal investigation into ‘widespread corruption’ in Suffolk County?
- A gourmet bowl of soup, adorned with hearty meat and beans, topped with good-for-you greens, cooking away all day while you get to stay in your pajamas — sound good?
An ode to Abe: a president whose morality, statesmanship and tenacity truly made America great“With malice toward none, with charity for all…let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds… to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”
On becoming a woman: When it’s time for ‘the talk’ with your daughter, forget moon parties, miracles and mystiqueI’m already preparing for the hate mail on this one, but I refuse to tell my daughter how great it is to get your period.
- There is a profound silence, a hush even, that comes, especially with a heavy snow. Though it was cold, the quiet brought a warmth to my soul and comforted me in my newest time of grief.
With PBMC merger complete, life-saving cardiac and trauma procedures will soon be locally available to East End residentsToday’s historic merger between Peconic Bay Medical Center and Northwell Health will soon make life-saving medical services available to East End residents who have always needed to travel up-island for ...
Narcan, lifesaving drug that reverses opiate overdose, is being made available in New York without prescriptionThe opiate overdose reversal drug naloxone (Narcan) will be made available without prescription at 479 CVS Pharmacy locations throughout New York, with plans in the works to add 1,000 more ...
- Mitchell will deliver an address titled “Using Philanthropy as a Change Agent,” joined by Betsy C. Taylor, the principal of Accordant Philanthropy.
Public Meetings Calendar