Shots fired in altercation outside Riverhead restaurant early Thursday morning; police seek two suspectsRiverhead Police are looking for two men who shot at another man in a confrontation outside a Route 58 restaurant shortly after midnight Thursday.
East End DWI task force cops bust 13 in overnight holiday enforcement effort in Riverhead and Southampton townsOfficers in the district attorney’s East End DWI task force arrested 13 people in enforcement details in Riverhead and Southampton last night, police said in press releases issued this morning.
- Instead of celebrating Thanksgiving Day with their families, a group of local volunteers is spending the day serving free meals to those who may not have families of their own.
School board recap: auditors report, local assistance plans, qualifications for new teachers discussedJill Sanders of Cullen & Danowski, LLP gave a presentation at Tuesday night’s board of education meeting in which she stated that the firm “rendered what’s known as an unmodified opinion, it’s the highest level of assurance that the board of education gets”. Across the board the external auditors found ...
- After years of Black Friday madness encroaching further and further on Thanksgiving Day family time, several chain stores are refusing to open their doors until well after Thanksgiving dinner is finished – and some are opening only several hours earlier than usual on Friday November 27.
- There’s no place like home for the holidays, but sometimes getting there can be a little tricky. Planning on traveling this Thanksgiving? Here’s what you need to know.
‘If we can’t talk, we can’t respond’: Wading River Fire Department begins massive communications overhaulAfter decades of struggling to communicate across staticky radios, one of the fire department’s aging radio towers is finally set to be upgraded, boosting the tower’s signal and making life a little easier for local volunteers.
Flanders-Riverside residents pack Town Hall to demand more police presence; supervisor announces additional patrolsOn a day that saw the arrest of a sitting town councilman on drug trafficking charges, residents of Flanders and Riverside packed the Southampton Town Board meeting room to demand more police presence to fight drug-related crime in their neighborhoods. Supervisor Anna Throne-Holst announced a deal with the town police ...
School board recap: auditors report, local assistance plans, qualifications for new teachers discussedJill Sanders of Cullen & Danowski, LLP gave a presentation at Tuesday night’s board of education meeting in which she stated that the firm “rendered what’s known as an unmodified ...
- Riverhead’s football season ended today in a 14-6 loss to the West Islip Lions. The Waves’ fate was sealed with an interception by the Lions late in the 4th ...
- There was no doubt which was the best team on the field Saturday afternoon at Smithtown East High School. The score was 22-0 halfway through the first quarter. Riverhead (4-4 Division II) finished their regular season on a 42-0 thumping of the lowly Smithtown East Bulls who failed to record a victory this season. It was an all too ...
After making playoffs for fourth consecutive year, No. 11 Riverhead falls to Eastport-South Manor, 3-0Riverhead fell to Eastport-South Manor 3-0 on Saturday.
- The electric utilities industry and their fossil-fuel backers are doing everything they can to stop the home solar energy insurgence because it cuts into their profits.
- “Michael and I have had our lives changed and, yes, ripped from us, but we continue on with our faith and the spirit of love.”
- An uninvolved public and the district’s rubber-stamp school board foster a system lacking in oversight and accountability — and one that’s destined to fail.
- Can someone please explain to me why they are called “sleepovers?” The last thing that happens at a sleepover – literally, the last thing – is sleep. Parenting insights and humor from Laurie Nigro.
- I stared out that window, trying to figure out the appeal of this dark autumn day. I realized that my eyes were drawn to the contrast of the gold and red leaves against the dark sky, which actually made the autumn colors richer and deeper. It was stunning.
- An open letter to the residents of Flanders, Riverside and Northampton asking for support at Southampton Town Board meeting Dec. 1 to demand more police protection.
Health care providers face staggering losses in wake of insurance company’s demise, some fear for survivalPeconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead stands to lose more than $1 million and local doctors face big losses that could put some medical practices in jeopardy.
State regulators put ‘hold’ on processing Health Republic claims, leaving patients and providers confused and worried‘An utter mess’: The state Department of Financial Services on Nov. 6 put a hold on processing of Health Republic claims, but the insolvent health co-op and the DFS ...
In the wake of Health Republic demise, new provider-owned health plan looks to expand network, lure customersCareConnect, owned by the North Shore-LIJ Health System, offering comprehensive coverage at lower rates than competitors, is poised for deeper incursion into Suffolk County, especially eastern Suffolk, where PBMC is ...
Public Meetings Calendar