- About 300,000 bunker died of “mass asphyxiation” caused by nitrogen-fueled algal blooms in the Peconic River last summer, the study said.
Winter storm leaves more than 3,600 without power in Riverhead-Riverside, as weather service ups snow total again(Updated 10:55 a.m.) A circuit problem left a large swath of central Riverhead without power, and power lines are arcing and burning in several places. The weather service has increased forecast snow amounts to 5-10 in.
‘A powerful week’ for Michael’s Hope: Laurel man’s group hosts first Narcan training and earns tax-exempt statusMore than 100 people turned out for the first community Narcan training hosted by Michael’s Hope, an organization founded by a Laurel man inspired by his brother’s heroin overdose death to combat the deadly drug.
- List of local closings and cancellations due to the winter storm warning in effect for Friday, Feb. 5.
- The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a winter storm warning for eastern Suffolk County, with 5 to 8 inches of snow in the forecast.
- Locally higher amounts are possible, especially if the storm tracks further west, according to the National Weather Service.
- With its expansion plans stalled before the State Central Pine Barrens Commission and the threat of a lawsuit looming even if its development application is approved, Kent Animal Shelter is looking for another location on which to build a bigger, more modern facility. But prospects are few, obstacles many and ...
- Riverhead’s internal audit committee issued a highly critical report on the operation of the town garage, but one councilman says the issues have already been addressed — mostly.
State education aid for the coming fiscal year: How do Riverhead and SWR fare under the governor’s proposal?State education aid under Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s executive budget is “inadequate” for Long Island, according to Assemblyman Fred Thiele, who is calling for the elimination of the gap elimination adjustment, a reduction in education aid instituted several years ago to help plug a state budget deficit, which has been wiped ...
Years of neglect at Riverhead’s parks has left them ‘falling apart,’ recreation supe wants to bond money for repairsRiverhead’s parks are in such disrepair that portions of them are being shut down – but the town doesn’t have the money to fix them.
- Medical marijuana’s recent legalization is personal for Columbia Care’s CEO, who helped his mother overcome her debilitating arthritis pain with a topical balm.