Zeldin calls for resignation or removal of FAA head unless he reconsiders north shore helicopter route extensionIgnoring repeated communications from members of Congress and taxpayers, “the FAA has chosen to go radio silent and release this directive in secret as if the American public is the enemy,” Rep. Lee Zeldin said.
Road work will shut down portions of Sound Avenue and Elton Street Monday, highway superintendent saysPortions of Sound Avenue and Elton Street will be closed to traffic tomorrow for paving by Riverhead Highway Department crews.
- A heat advisory has been issued for tomorrow afternoon, when soaring temperatures and high humidity will converge to produce heat index values of up to 101 degrees.
North shore helicopter route is here to stay for four more years: FAA moves to immediately extend rule through 2020In a blow to local residents and public officials looking to force Hamptons-bound helicopter traffic to the south shore or force the aircraft to stay over water until a point east of Plum Island, the FAA is moving forward with a four-year extension of the existing “north shore helicopter route,” ...
- “We’re in dire straits,” Supervisor Sean Walter said in a phone interview this afternoon. “Everything in the water district is running flat-out right now” and the district still can’t fill up its storage tanks.
- Plans for a carnival in Riverside have been shelved. “…We just couldn’t get all of our ducks in a row in time,” organizers said.
- Town officials say the organizers’ ‘hectic schedules’ made picking new date impossible, but ex-councilman George Gabrielsen whose family powered the event since its founding six years ago, tells a different story.
Riverhead woman, seriously injured in car accident, plans demonstration against drunk driving MondayAfter Margarita Jimenez broke her back and her neck in a serious car accident last July, the Riverhead woman wants to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving with a demonstration in Riverhead Monday evening.
- New York State’s “Move-Over” law has been expanded to include volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers.
- A wildly popular new mobile game is not only getting young people out of the house – it’s also getting them through the doors of local businesses.
Riverhead Water District, pumping near capacity, imposes odd/even day restrictions on lawn irrigationThe Riverhead Water District is imposing an odd/even water schedule for business and residential properties, effective immediately.