Legislators green-light Crescent Duck Farm request for $250,000 grant for new facility to reduce pollution, odorsThe grant would cover about 40 percent of the cost of the new enclosed storage facility. The full legislature will vote on the measure at its May 10 general meeting in Riverhead.
For Kent Animal Shelter, search for a new home continues as support for expansion plan in Calverton remains elusiveKent Animal Shelter outgrew its cramped, deteriorating facilities at the edge of the Pine Barrens many years ago, but its plans for expansion are no closer to approval today than they were in 2012, when Kent first proposed them.
FOLD Festival announces this year’s headliners: Joe Jonas, Earth Wind & Fire, Bette Midler, KC & the Sunshine BandPromoters announced the headliners of the 2016 FOLD Festival today on the event’s website.
Peconic Land Trust to work with Riverhead Town to assist with its conservation and preservation strategiesThe Peconic Land Trust will review Riverhead’s community preservation project plan and transfer of development rights program to help the town develop conservation and preservation strategies, thanks to a $30,000 state grant.
- A bill preventing the sale of Plum Island was unanimously approved by the House Homeland Security Committee yesterday, which means it will go to a vote on the House floor this year.
- The federal EPA published a proposed new rule designating a two-square nautical mile area northwest of Fishers Island as a dredge material dump site which will be used for the next 30 years.
- Thanks to a generous $20,000 donation from a Bohemia pastor, the region’s first home for traumatic brain injury survivors is finally planning its opening date.
- For the first time in decades, the Suffolk County Legislature will hold its committee meetings in Riverhead next week in the run-up to a Riverhead general meeting.
- More cases of tick-borne diseases have been reported on the East End than almost anywhere else in Suffolk County in recent years.
- Two out of three LIE eastbound and westbound travel lanes between exits 68 and 69 will be closed each night from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m, weather permitting, through mid-summer for bridge maintenance.
Driver of car that careened off CR 105 overpass late Saturday night ‘lucky to be alive’ thanks to off-duty paramedicAfter a car drove over the guardrail of the CR 105, a man returning to the campground at around midnight happened upon the wreck on the pitch-black exit ramp for Indian Island County Park. Luckily for the driver, who was severely injured, the Good Samaritan was a paramedic and an ex-chief of the Riverhead ...
Bellone calls for ballot referendum on public water surcharge; local officials say plan is not yet ready for prime timeThe proposed public water surcharge would fund sewer and septic system upgrades county-wide.
Transcending artificial boundary lines: new group aims to address social, economic issues on both sides of riverA new community organization has been formed to focus on social change and economic development in Riverside and downtown Riverhead and its fiscal partner has already won a grant to help fund a part-time community organizer position.
- A new bill authored by Rep. Lee Zeldin that would put the brakes on the sale of Plum Island — at least temporarily — will be passed by the House Homeland Security Committee this week, the congressman announced at a press conference in Riverhead this morning.
After last year’s fish kills, turtle die-off shed light on nitrogen impacts, Peconic Estuary Program begins plan updateThe Peconic Estuary Program is updating its conservation plan to refocus its efforts on the latest threats to the waterbodies of the Peconic Bay.