- Expansion plans for the Jamesport shopping center hit an obstacle tonight. The Riverhead Zoning Board of Appeals denied an application for variances needed to build a 28,379-square-foot addition to the existing Main Road strip mall.
- Route 58 shopping center owner has drawn plans to build a new, freestanding multiscreen theater on eastern portion of shopping center site vacated by Walmart in December 2013, Riverhead Supervisor Sean Walter says. Two freestanding restaurant pads are also proposed. A large portion of the existing plaza would be demolished.
News from the North Fork
Storm-damaged Greenport skating rink undergoing extensive renovations for planned return to its former gloryIf these walls could talk… They’d regale us with tales of first dates, high school break-ups and marriage proposals. They’d reverberate with the sound of music, from the old organ music to big band swing to the Marshall Tucker Band. They’d rumble with the noise of fierce competition: the whirring and tapping of wooden wheels on ...
- Though the East End’s Latino population has grown explosively over the past decade, you wouldn’t know it by looking at the boards of local governments, which do not count a single Latino member among them.
- Here’s a rundown of the signs and symptoms of heroin use, places to turn for help if someone you care about is using, plus an explanation of how an overdose happens and how naloxone reverses it.
- Heavy snow will continue to fall through early afternoon, with a total accumulation of 5 to 9 inches forecast. Riverhead Town has declared a “winter storm event.”
- List of local closings, cancellations and delays due to winter storm. Updated.
- A winter storm warning has been issued for Suffolk County for 3 a.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow. The National Weather Service in Upton is forecasting strong winds and heavy snow with accumulations of 4 to 8 inches. Snow will develop late tonight, the weather service said. Winds out of the northeast will blow 15 to 25 mph ...
- About 300,000 bunker died of “mass asphyxiation” caused by nitrogen-fueled algal blooms in the Peconic River last summer, the study said.
Winter storm leaves more than 3,600 without power in Riverhead-Riverside, as weather service ups snow total again(Updated 10:55 a.m.) A circuit problem left a large swath of central Riverhead without power, and power lines are arcing and burning in several places. The weather service has increased forecast snow amounts to 5-10 in.
‘A powerful week’ for Michael’s Hope: Laurel man’s group hosts first Narcan training and earns tax-exempt statusMore than 100 people turned out for the first community Narcan training hosted by Michael’s Hope, an organization founded by a Laurel man inspired by his brother’s heroin overdose death to combat the deadly drug.
- The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a winter storm warning for eastern Suffolk County, with 5 to 8 inches of snow in the forecast.
- Locally higher amounts are possible, especially if the storm tracks further west, according to the National Weather Service.
- With its expansion plans stalled before the State Central Pine Barrens Commission and the threat of a lawsuit looming even if its development application is approved, Kent Animal Shelter is looking for another location on which to build a bigger, more modern facility. But prospects are few, obstacles many and the shelter’s future still remains ...
- Riverhead’s internal audit committee issued a highly critical report on the operation of the town garage, but one councilman says the issues have already been addressed — mostly.