- The score was 64-62 and 17 seconds remained in the first round Suffolk AA playoff matchup of No. 7 Riverhead and No. 10 Half Hollow Hills East at Riverhead High School on Friday night. Hills East hadn’t led all game. But after point guard Faith Johnson-DeSilvia fouled out with over four minutes left on the clock, ...
- No. 13 North Babylon exploded in the fourth quarter after trailing for most of the game. They went on a 23-7 run and blew the game open, knocking off No. 20 Riverhead, 56-41.
- Three years ago, Riverhead head coach Dave Spinella put three eighth-grade guards on the floor — not exactly a formula for success. But it didn’t matter to him at that point.
- Riverhead will be well represented in the postseason with both Riverhead boys and girls basketball competing for the grand prize as well as the McGann-Mercy girls basketball team.
- Electric. That’s the best word to describe the atmosphere at Riverhead High School on Tuesday. On a night when seniors were honored, it was the seniors that led the Blue Waves to the victory, 72-41, against the hapless West Islip Lions. Sharron Trent and Tyrese Kerr led the Blue Waves in scoring with 15 points a piece. Steven ...
- Last year was the first time Riverhead Cheerleading ever made as far as the semi-finals, but after nine of the team’s 12 cheerleaders graduated in May 2015, the team had to start from the ground-up in September.
- The Blue Waves improved to 12-1 in League III and 13-3 overall with a blowout win over Centereach last night, during their last home game of the regular season.
- the Blue Waves are still one win away from securing a playoff berth after today’s 64-38 loss to Smithtown West.
- The Blue Waves (10-1 League III, 12-3 overall) had no issues flying past Smithtown East, 64-44, during a game in which they never trailed.
- “We had a strong first quarter and then kind of fell apart,” Riverhead head coach John Rossetti said. The Waves travel to North Babylon Tuesday, 4 p.m.
- After Tuesday’s 51-23 victory over Newfield at Riverhead High School, the Blue Waves have now won eight straight games and boast a crystal clear 8-0 division record atop League III.