Town Hall Notebook
Riverhead Town Board wrap: Riverhead (finally) finishes environmental review on EPCAL plan, OKs more $ for skate parkRiverhead Town has completed a five-and-a-half-year environmental review process on a new development plan for its remaining property at the former Grumman facility in Calverton. The town board yesterday adopted a “findings statement” — the last step in the process under the State Environmental Quality Review Act. The next step is the adoption of an updated use plan and ...
- The next drive in movie will be the NASCAR-themed “Talladega Nights” on Friday, July 8.
- The group has been using a storefront on Railroad Avenue for prayers for the past six years, said the men, a Riverhead physician, an auto repair shop owner and a Queens dentist.
Former Riverhead town attorney returns as deputy, will focus on enforcement litigation in town’s justice courtFormer Riverhead town attorney Dawn Thomas will be returning to Riverhead Town Hall as a deputy town attorney Sept. 1.
- A a Colonial ball and an anniversary parade are among the events planned for Riverhead’s 225th anniversary in 2017.
Should movie theaters be allowed on Route 58 again? Despite social media outcry, public has no comment at hearingsPublic hearings on code changes that would once again allow a movie theater on Route 58 — where they’ve been banned as a use since 2004 — drew no public comment. Written comments will be accepted by the town clerk until June 17.
Riverhead Town Government
Town had $300,000 shortfall in 2015, after budgeted revenues fail to materializeRiverhead Town came up more than $300,000 short in 2015, after revenue projections in its adopted budget missed the mark by nearly $1.9 million.
- Summary of key actions taken by the Riverhead Town Board at its May 3, 2016 regular meeting.
- Code amendments to allow movie theaters in the shopping center zoning use district will be up for a public hearing before the Riverhead Town Board on June 7.
- Summary of actions taken at the Riverhead Town Board meeting of April 19, 2016: settlement with state DEC on sewage treatment plant discharge violation, cable franchise agreement approved, more
After colleagues pass law preventing him from running for a fourth term, an ‘angry’ Councilman John Dunleavy lashes outCouncilman had harsh words for Supervisor Sean Walter and newest board member Tim Hubbard after the town board passed a term limits bill that bars him from seeking another term of office next year. He is the only sitting member to be immediately term-limited out of office.
Riverhead opens door for church group’s workforce housing, community center plans for Northville Turnpike siteA new zoning code was approved in a split vote by the Riverhead Town Board last night. allowing the Family Community Life Center to apply for a special permit to build 132 workforce housing units and a community center on 12 acres along Northville Turnpike.
Hearings on proposals for town board term limits, four-year supervisor term draw virtually no public commentSomething usual happened in Riverhead Town Hall yesterday. The Riverhead Town Board held a public hearing on extending the supervisor’s term of office to four years and no one had anything to say about it. That was unusual because whenever a four-year supervisor’s term has come up in the past, the public had plenty to say — ...
- Nearly two dozen people spoke in support of the Family Community Life Center at a hearing on proposed overlay zoning tailored to the project.
Arrival of NextGen 911 technology in Suffolk will clear up confusion on town borders and hasten response times: policeNew technology on the way to public safety dispatch offices in Suffolk County will help clear the confusion about responding to addresses in areas that border two jurisdictions, even when calls are made from cell phones.