Eleanor de Reeder died Friday, Dec. 21, 2018 at her Southold home at the age of 91.
Born in Bay Shore in 1927 to Rudolph Silha and Camille Anne Richter Silha, she was raised in East Islip, graduating from East Islip High School in 1943. She later attended State Teachers College at New Paltz.
In 1946, she married Edward L. de Reeder Jr. and gave birth to their son Edward L. “Ted” III in 1947. The family moved to Mattituck in 1947, living in Arthur and Lucille Penny’s attic apartment. Eleanor, along with Ruth Virginia Haas, founded Mattituck’s first Brownie troop.
Edward’s 41-year career with the Long Island Lighting Company began in Riverhead in 1947. His advancement within the company moved the de Reeders to Glen Cove in 1951. They purchased a home in Glenwood Landing in 1954, where Ted and younger siblings John and Anne were raised.
From 1966 until 1982, Eleanor taught at and later became director of Temple Sinai Nursery School in Roslyn.
In 1973, Edward and Eleanor built their current home in Southold, which served as the extended family’s base of operations for 45 years. They moved to their Southold home full-time after Edward’s retirement in 1988. For many years Eleanor was active in the Southold Presbyterian Church and her community’s homeowner’s association.They moved to their Southold home full time after Edward’s retirement in 1988.
For many years Eleanor was active in the First Presbyterian Church of Southold and her community’s homeowner’s association.
Predeceased by Edward in 2009, she is survived by her son, Ted, his wife Annette, and their son Alex; by her son, John, his wife Helene and their children, Elizabeth and Chris; by her daughter Anne, her husband Mark and their son True. She is also survived by her “other son” John Richard Haas of Cutchogue.
The immediate family held a private interment ceremony at Calverton National Cemetery. A memorial service will take place at a later date and time.
DeFriest-Grattan Funeral Home assisted the family.