Suffolk County Emergency Services officers arrive at the scene of the standoff this afternoon. Photo: Peter Blasl

Update (10:25 p.m.): Southampton Town Police Thursday night identified the man involved in the standoff on Grove Street in Riverhead as Devan Thomas, 23, of Ridge.

Police said Thomas on Wednesday night at about 7 p.m. caused a disturbance at the residence of a female victim in Flanders. During the disturbance the victim heard what sounded like a gunshot and called police, according to a Southampton Town Police press release. Southampton Police responded to the call but were unable to locate Thomas.

On Thursday, Southampton Police learned that Thomas was at a residence in Riverhead, the release said.  Southampton Town Patrol Units, Southampton Town Detective Division, with the assistance of Riverhead Police, New York State Police and Suffolk County Emergency Services, responded to the residence and requested Thomas to surrender to authorities, police said. Thomas was subsequently taken in to custody without incident after several hours of negotiating with him., according to the report.

Thomas was charged with Prohibited Use and Possession of a Firearm, Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree, Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Fourth Degree, and Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree, police said.

Grove Street in Riverhead was shut down by police as a result of a standoff with a reportedly armed man inside a home there. Photo: Peter Blasl

Original story: A reportedly armed man has been taken into custody after a day-long standoff with police at a house on Grove Street in Riverhead.

Riverhead, Southampton, Suffolk County and State Police surrounded the home, located in a residential neighborhood off Doctors Path. Grove Street was closed to traffic.

The suspect was involved in a shooting incident in Southampton’s jurisdiction last night and Riverhead Police were called to the home on Grove Street, reportedly the home of the suspect’s relatives, at about 7:45 this morning, according to radio reports. It is not clear whether the home was occupied by anyone but the suspect during the incident.

Suffolk County Emergency Services set up a command post at the scene as a county police negotiator spoke with the suspect on the telephone.

The Southampton Town Police public information office could not be reached for comment.

Editor’s note: A criminal charge is an accusation. A person charged with a crime is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law.

Support local journalism.
Now more than ever, the survival of quality local journalism depends on your support. Our community faces unprecedented economic disruption, and the future of many small businesses are under threat, including our own. It takes time and resources to provide this service. We are a small family-owned operation, and we will do everything in our power to keep it going. But today more than ever before, we will depend on your support to continue. Support RiverheadLOCAL today. You rely on us to stay informed and we depend on you to make our work possible.

Denise is a veteran local reporter, editor, attorney and former Riverhead Town councilwoman. Her work has been recognized with numerous awards, including investigative reporting and writer of the year awards from the N.Y. Press Association. She is a founder, owner and co-publisher of this website.Email Denise.