1. ‘Coffee with a Cop’ returns: Stop in for informal conversation and a cup of coffee with Riverhead police officers Wednesday morning.
"Coffee with a Cop Day” is back this year in Riverhead offering residents the opportunity for informal conversation with Riverhead police officers at four locations across town Wednesday morning.
2. Cops: Two gas station clerks charged in underage alcohol sales sting.
Two gas station employees were arrested during an underage alcohol sales investigation in town yesterday. Eight other retail establishments were also checked and found to be in compliance.
3. Update: Police identify man struck and killed in Flanders crash Sunday night.
Thanks to an "overwhelming" community response to their request yesterday, Southampton Town Police said they were able to identify the man struck and killed in an accident in Flanders Sunday night.
4. Hearing on qualifications of developer proposing $117M project near Riverhead railroad station will take place Tuesday evening.
Is the joint venture between developers RXR Realty and Georgica Green Ventures a 'qualified and eligible sponsor' to purchase the properties near the railroad station for their $117 million transit-oriented development project? The Riverhead Town Board will hold a hearing Tuesday evening to get public input.
5. Surgeons at Peconic Bay Medical Center ranked among best in New York State and nationally.
Two surgeons of the Orthopedic Department at Peconic Bay Medical Center have been ranked as best in in New York State and among the best in the country according to the healthcare ranking and research service Dexur. Chair of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Peconic Bay Medical Center Michael Ciminiello was named the best […]
6. New Riverhead firefighters face training course simulating different obstacles — all blindfolded.
Newer members of the Riverhead Volunteer Fire Department faced a training course meant to simulate the different obstacles they’d come across during a rescue inside a burning building.
7. Riverhead Country Fair returns Sunday, Oct. 9 with contests, carnival, food and vendors.
The Riverhead Country Fair, one of the largest fairs in New York State, will return Oct. 9 with vendors, carnival rides, contests and food.
8. State to phase in 40-hour work week with mandated overtime for farm laborers.
Farmworkers in New York will be entitled to overtime after 40 hours beginning Jan. 1, 2032, under an order signed yesterday by the state labor commissioner.The overtime threshold will be reduced incrementally every two years as the 40-hour threshold is phased in over the next decade.
9. Town Board likely to decide next week on hiring firm to finish comprehensive plan update.
The Riverhead Town Board is expected to choose the firm that will finish the update to the comprehensive plan as soon as next week. The Town Board heard from its two finalists, H2M and BFJ, during a work session on Thursday
10. Celebrate and learn about National Coming Out Day during an event at Riverhead Free Library Tuesday evening.
The Riverhead Anti-Bias Task Force and the LGBT Network are partnering to hold a program celebrating National Coming Out Day at Riverhead Free Library Tuesday evening.
11. Editorial: Riverhead still isn’t following its own rules for selling town-owned land to developers.
The town has a process in place for making sure developers in no-bid contracts buying land from the town are able to perform. Why does the town ignore its own rules?
RiverheadLOCAL is free to read thanks in part to the generous support of readers like you. Keep local news free. Become a member today.