2014 0117 co detectors

Did you know that carbon monoxide-related poisonings increase by 10 percent during winter months?

That’s right, the increased use of home heating systems, use of gasoline-powered generators during and after winter storms, and indoor use space heaters all contribute to the increased dangers of carbon monoxide exposures during winter.

At any time of the year, carbon monoxide is referred to as “the silent killer” because it can’t be seen or smelled, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from carbon monoxide produced by idling cars. Pregnant women, infants, the elderly, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.

Carbon monoxide is produced whenever a fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of carbon monoxide produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can result.

According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of unintentional poisoning death in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also reports that non-fire-related carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for approximately 15,000 emergency department visits and nearly 500 deaths annually in the United States.

2014 0117 CO Warning
Recognize and understand the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. At moderate levels, you or your family can experience severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, or fainting. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer-term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not recognize that carbon monoxide poisoning could be the cause.

Prevention is the key to avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning. Free or low-cost home energy audits from qualified professionals will not only tell you how efficiency upgrades can save you money on heating and cooling costs, but the audit also requires a safety check of your home’s fuel-burning appliances which includes a carbon monoxide test. For more information on how to protect you and your family or to arrange for an energy audit of your home, please visit: www.longislandgreenhomes.org

 

Source: Press release issued by Assemblyan Fred Thiele (I-Sag Harbor) Jan. 16, 2014

We need your help.
Now more than ever, the survival of quality local journalism depends on your support. Our community faces unprecedented economic disruption, and the future of many small businesses are under threat, including our own. It takes time and resources to provide this service. We are a small family-owned operation, and we will do everything in our power to keep it going. But today more than ever before, we will depend on your support to continue. Support RiverheadLOCAL today. You rely on us to stay informed and we depend on you to make our work possible.

SHARE
Fred Thiele
Fred Thiele (I, D-Sag Harbor) represents the First Assembly District, a district that includes southeastern Brookhaven, Southampton and East Hampton towns. He was first elected to the Assembly in 1995, after serving as Southampton Town supervisor and Suffolk County legislator.