We welcome comments from readers and debate on local issues, but to maintain this website as a forum for civil discourse, we have established the following comments policy:
• We use a Facebook commenting plugin. Commenters must be Facebook users to comment directly. People who are not Facebook users can submit a comment for posting by the website. Email your comment to the webmaster.
• Commenters must have Facebook accounts registered in their actual names.
• All viewpoints are welcome — left to right, and all points in between.
• Comments must be factually accurate.
All comments must comply with this policy. The following are prohibited and comments containing the following will be removed:
• False or potentially libelous statements.
• Obscene, explicit, or racist language including hate speech.
• Personal attacks, insults or threats.
• Allegations of criminal behavior or other extreme personal wrongdoing based on facts that haven’t been published in articles on this website.
• Commercial product promotions.
• Content taken from another source without permission.
• Private personal information published without consent.
• Comments unrelated to the topic of the forum.
• Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion.
If you want to provide a news tip or have information you are not comfortable posting publicly using your real name, please share it with us privately. Click here to send us an email.
We rely in part on contributors to let us know when comments violate these guidelines. If you wish to report activity that you believe violates our guidelines, click here.
By submitting a comment, you are agreeing to abide by these guidelines. People who violate these guidelines may lose the privilege of posting comments on RiverheadLOCAL.com or its Facebook page.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to edit or remove any comment posted on this website.
Thank you for your cooperation and support.