Two gas station convenience store clerks in Riverhead were arrested by State Police yesterday on charges of Unlawful Dealing with a Child and Prohibited Sale of an Alcoholic Beverage.
State Police said they charged Ates Gursev, 42, of Port Jefferson Station, a clerk at Mobil Gas on East Main Street and Ilyas Cakir, 62, of Bay Shore, a clerk at BP Gas on Old Country Road In Riverhead during an underage alcohol sales investigation. Both retail stores were cited for selling an alcoholic beverage to an undercover State Police operative under the age of 21.
The following establishments were also checked and found to be in compliance, police said:
- Shreehan Beer and Smoke on East Main Street
- Michael’s Liquors on East Main Street
- OK Petroleum on East Main Street
- 7-Eleven on Old Country Road
- Peconic Wine & Liquor on Old Country Road
- Wine Mart on Old Country Road
- Speedway Gas on Old Country Road
- Roanoke Plaza Liquors on Old Country Road
- The All-Star on Main Road
Editor’s note: A criminal charge is an accusation. A person charged with a crime is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law.
The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.