New York State Police arrested two people during an underage alcohol sales investigation in Riverhead yesterday.
Two of the 10 retail businesses investigated were cited for selling an alcoholic beverage to an undercover New York State Police operative under the age of 21, leading to the following arrests:
- Lutfi Buyukcibir, 37, of Riverhead, an employee at Aquebogue Mini Mart on Main Road
- Winnifred Powell-Holmes, 52, of Mastic, a clerk at Speedway on Old Country Road
Both were charged with Unlawfully Dealing with a Child in the First Degree and Prohibited Sale of an Alcoholic Beverage.
Eight other retail establishments in town were also checked and found to be in compliance:
- Jamesport Liquors, Main Road, Jamesport
- 7-Eleven, Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Empire Mini Mart, Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Wine Mart, Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Roanoke Plaza Liquors, Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Citgo Mini Mart, Osborne Avenue, Riverhead
- Riverhead Liquor Mart, Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Gulf Petroleum, Old Country Road, Riverhead
The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.