Support local journalism.

Now more than ever, local news matters.

Michael Hubbard

Mother of late Michael Hubbard donates to her son’s first responders

Nancy Reyer thanked Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance Corps last week with a $5,000 donation to acknowledge their caring and concern for her late son, Michael Hubbard, who was critically burned by a highly flammable gel candle in May 2011.

We must never forget what happened to Michael — and why

The tragedy that befell Michael Hubbard 10 years ago today did not have to happen. With at least two dozen burn injuries and one death before May 28, 2011, the product that ended Michael Hubbard's life should not have been on store shelves that spring.

Michael Hubbard’s long battle comes to an end

Riverhead youth severely burned by exploding 'gel candle' in May 2011 succumbs to his injuries

Eight years after an exploding ‘gel candle’ severely burned 14-year-old Michael Hubbard, his family prepares to say goodbye

Eight years ago this evening, a 14-year-old Riverhead boy's life ended in the fireball of an exploding “gel candle” — a decorative ceramic pot designed to burn pourable, aromatic citronella gel fuel.

‘Justice for Michael’: Bed Bath & Beyond held liable for injuries to Riverhead teen caused by exploding gel fuel ‘fire pot’

A state appellate court ruled that the decorative gel fuel 'fire pot' was defectively designed and so dangerous it posed 'an extraordinary safety risk.' It injured 86 people in the U.S., many critically, including Michael Hubbard of Riverhead, and resulted in two deaths during 15 months in 2010-2011 before the manufacturer pulled them from stores and filed for bankruptcy.

Michael Hubbard, severely burned in 2011 ‘gel candle’ explosion at age 14, celebrates his 20th birthday today at PBMC

The Riverhead teen severely burned by an exploding gel candle in 2011 has been hospitalized ever since and today marked his 20th birthday at Peconic Bay Medical Center.

Riverhead home for brain-injury survivors nears completion, delayed by unanticipated water hookup expense

The Brendan House in Riverhead is almost finished, but move-in for the 12 brain-injured patients it will house is now delayed by an unanticipated $40,000 expense to hook up to the town water district's main.

Gulf War veteran, moved by Riverhead teen’s valiant fight, presents Michael Hubbard with his combat action medal

Moved by Riverhead teen's valiant fight, Navy veteran presents Michael Hubbard with the combat action medal he earned serving during Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

Blue Waves basketball alumni shoot hoops for three good causes

The Riverhead Boys Basketball Booster Club held the First Annual Alumni Basketball game yesterday at Riverhead High School. Blue Waves alumni of all ages took...

Going bald for Brendan House: Michael Hubbard’s mom in fundraising effort

Nancy Reyer, mother of Michael Hubbard is asking for 2,000 'high fives' — $5 donations — in her effort to raise $10,000 for cesspools at Brendan House, a home for brain-injury survivors now under construction in Riverhead.