Support local journalism.

Now more than ever, local news matters.

Napa Home and Garden

Eight years after an exploding ‘gel candle’ severely burned 14-year-old Michael Hubbard, his family prepares to say goodbye

Eight years ago this evening, a 14-year-old Riverhead boy's life ended in the fireball of an exploding “gel candle” — a decorative ceramic pot designed to burn pourable, aromatic citronella gel fuel.

Michael Hubbard, severely burned in 2011 ‘gel candle’ explosion at age 14, celebrates his 20th birthday today at PBMC

The Riverhead teen severely burned by an exploding gel candle in 2011 has been hospitalized ever since and today marked his 20th birthday at Peconic Bay Medical Center.