Riverhead firefighters found paper records burning in a second-floor records storage room at the county center when they responded to an automatic alarm this afternoon just before 1 o’clock.
There was a heavy smoke condition on the second floor when the first fire chief arrived. He immediately called for the department to respond to a working structure fire.
The fire activated the sprinkler system in that area of the building.
The chief called for the county fire marshal to respond and investigate.
Firefighters quickly put the fire out. No one was injured in the incident.
We need your help.
Now more than ever, the survival of quality local journalism depends on your support. Our community faces unprecedented economic disruption, and the future of many small businesses are under threat, including our own. It takes time and resources to provide this service. We are a small family-owned operation, and we will do everything in our power to keep it going. But today more than ever before, we will depend on your support to continue. Support RiverheadLOCAL today. You rely on us to stay informed and we depend on you to make our work possible.