A cigarette started a small fire in a second-floor apartment at River Pointe Apartments on East Main Street shortly after 12 noon today, according to the Riverhead Fire Marshal.

“It burned through into the downstairs apartment,” Fire Marshal David Andruskiewicz said. The fire appears to have started on a second-floor wood deck, he said. “It was accidental.”

Occupants of the apartment escaped without injury, Andruskiewicz said.

About 50 volunteer firefighters answered the alarm for a structure fire at the apartment complex, with two engines.

Riverhead police officers who arrived first on the scene knocked the fire down with fire extinguishers.

At nearly the same time as the structure fire alarm, two automatic fire alarms came in to fire headquarters: one from Pulaski Street School, which was set off by workers in the building and the other from the Hyatt Place East End, where hairspray being used in one of the guest rooms set off a smoke detector, according to radio reports.

RiverheadLOCAL photos by Peter Blasl and Denise Civiletti

2015_0425_fire_2

2015_0425_fire_ - 1

2015_0425_fire_ - 2
2015_0425_fire_ - 4

The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.

SHARE
Denise is a veteran local reporter, editor, attorney and former Riverhead Town councilwoman. Her work has been recognized with numerous awards, including investigative reporting and writer of the year awards from the N.Y. Press Association. She is a founder, owner and co-publisher of this website.Email Denise.