Riverhead Police said they arrested two people during a tobacco and vape compliance check across town yesterday.
The Riverhead Police Department’s COPE Unit with the assistance of the Suffolk County Department of Health Services and the Riverhead Community Awareness Program conducted the compliance check targeting the sale of vape and tobacco products to patrons under the age of 21 at 19 locations in Riverhead Town yesterday, according to a police press release.
All but two were in compliance, police said.
Police charged Davit Gorgodze, an employee of FA Grocery, 733 East Main Street, and Esther Rivera-Rivas, an employee of American Gas Station, 1427 Main Road, Jamesport for Unlawfully Dealing with a Child in the Second Degree, a class B misdemeanor.
Police said other locations checked and found to be in compliance were:
- Village Grocery, 733 East Main St., Riverhead
- 7-Eleven, 245 West Main St., Riverhead
- OK Petro, 1212 East Main St., Riverhead
- Mobil Gas, 415 East Main St., Riverhead
- KD Beer and Smoke Shop, 121 West Main St., Riverhead
- Shell Gas, 626 West Main St., Riverhead
- Polish Town Deli, 432 Pulaski St., Riverhead
- BP Gas, 1356 Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Riverhead Mobil, 1575 Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Citgo Gas, 1050 Osborn Avenue, Riverhead
- Gotham Smoke Shop, 1085 Old Country Road, Riverhead
- 7-Eleven, 1050 Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Empire Gas, 640 Old Country Road, Riverhead
- 7-Eleven, 162 Old Country Road, Riverhead
- Superior Auto, 640 Main Road
- Tobacco King, 1451 Main Road, Jamesport
- Sound Avenue Deli, 5087 Sound Avenue, Aquebogue
Editor’s note: A criminal charge is an accusation. A person charged with a crime is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law.
The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.