Photo: April Pokorny.

Four Kent Animal Shelter employees were sent to the hospital this morning after inhaling smoke from a smoking oil burner.

Riverhead Fire Department responded to an alarm of a fire at Kent Animal Shelter at around 8:10 a.m. Tuesday morning.  Three fire trucks lined the driveway as firemen entered the back door of the dog kennel at the shelter to find a smoking oil burner. Mapes Oil Company was called to the scene take care of the problem.

Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance Corps transported four employees to Peconic Bay Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation. No animals were hurt in the incident; all were taken into the clinic building prior to fire department arrival.

The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.