The crime scene on Old Quogue Road in Riverside Nov. 17, 2015. File photo: Peter Blasl

A Riverhead-based Bloods gang member today pleaded guilty to firearm-related murder in the slaying of Thomas Lacolla in Riverside on Nov. 17, 2012.

Jason Langhorn, 29, a member of the “Lowrider Brims” and an associate of the “Red Stone Gorilla” both subsets of the Bloods, pleaded guilty today in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York in Central Islip.

According to court filings and facts presented during the plea proceeding, on Nov. 17, 2015, Langhorn, along with two other members of the Bloods, went to a location in Riverside looking to kill a rival gang member. They sprayed 39 shots from three firearms, including an assault rifle, into a vehicle parked on Old Quogue Road they believed was occupied by the rival gang member, but instead was occupied by Lacolla, 27, who was killed in the fusillade.

“It is our hope that today’s guilty plea brings a measure of closure to the victim’s family,” said Jacquelyn Kasulis, Acting U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York.

“As a result of the outstanding and tireless work by members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Long Island Gang Task Force, the Suffolk County East End Drug Task Force, the Riverhead Police Department and the Suffolk County Police Department, Homicide Squad, Langhorn has been held accountable for his role in an act of senseless gang violence that resulted in a man’s death,” Kasulis said.

The proceeding was held before United States Magistrate Judge A. Kathleen Tomlinson.

Langhorn was one of 11 individuals charged under an indictment unsealed in October 2019.

In addition to firearm-related murder he was charged with eight other crimes, including racketeering, conspiracy to murder and assault and conspiracy to distribute controlled substances.

A codefendant, Terrill Latney of Mastic Beach, pleaded guilty in February 2020 to racketeering, including conspiring to distribute narcotics and participating in Lacolla’s murder. Latney was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison in October.

Roger Foster of Baiting Hollow, and Willie Belcher of Flanders both pleaded guilty to brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence and were sentenced in November to seven years in prison followed by three years fo supervised release.

Charges are still pending against the alleged gang leader, Jimmy Dean of Calverton, as well as Corey Belcher of Riverhead and Eric Ross of Flanders.

Editor’s note: A criminal charge is an accusation. A person charged with a crime is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law.

The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.

Denise is a veteran local reporter, editor, attorney and former Riverhead Town councilwoman. Her work has been recognized with numerous awards, including investigative reporting and writer of the year awards from the N.Y. Press Association. She is a founder, owner and co-publisher of this website.Email Denise.