An unoccupied cottage on Peconic Bay Boulevard in Laurel suffered substantial fire damage after a possible lightning strike. Courtesy photo

Mattituck Fire Department responded to a fire at an unoccupied cottage at 7025 Peconic Bay Boulevard in Laurel at 2:30 this afternoon, calling in Jamesport Fire Department for mutual aid and manpower.

Chief James Rugnetta of the Mattituck Fire Department said that the fire, which caused substantial damage to the building, was possibly caused by the storm.

“We believe it was an electrical fire possibly caused by a lightning strike. It started near the microwave and traveled down near the stove and into the cabinets behind the stove,” he said.

National Grid and PSEG were called in for assistance in securing the house to allow firefighting efforts to proceed, Rugnetta said.

EMS was also called to the scene, but there were no injuries to either firefighters or civilians, he said.

We need your help.
Now more than ever, the survival of quality local journalism depends on your support. Our community faces unprecedented economic disruption, and the future of many small businesses are under threat, including our own. It takes time and resources to provide this service. We are a small family-owned operation, and we will do everything in our power to keep it going. But today more than ever before, we will depend on your support to continue. Support RiverheadLOCAL today. You rely on us to stay informed and we depend on you to make our work possible.

SHARE
Avatar