The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for District Council No. 9 will conduct a recruitment from Nov. 30 through Dec. 13 for 50 painter, decorator, and paperhanger apprentices.
Applications can be obtained in person only from District Council No. 9, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, every business day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. during the recruitment period. The sponsor will be distributing 500 applications beginning Thursday, Nov. 30 and continuing for a period of 10 business days or until all applications have been exhausted, whichever comes first.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must sign an affidavit stating that they are physically able to perform the work of a painter, decorator, and paperhanger, which includes:
- Lifting and carrying heavy equipment and buckets weighing up to 70 pounds.
- Working from ladders, scaffolds, and personal lifts at heights exceeding 100 feet.
- Working outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Must attend a three-day orientation.
- Must be able to travel throughout the five boroughs to reach job sites.
- Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must pass a physical examination, at the expense of the Sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or District Council #9 at (718) 937-7440.
Support local journalism.
Now more than ever, the survival of quality local journalism depends on your support. Our community faces unprecedented economic disruption, and the future of many small businesses are under threat, including our own. It takes time and resources to provide this service. We are a small family-owned operation, and we will do everything in our power to keep it going. But today more than ever before, we will depend on your support to continue. Support RiverheadLOCAL today. You rely on us to stay informed and we depend on you to make our work possible.