Attorney John Ray of Miler Place speaking at the May 14 school board meeting. Photo: Maria Piedrabuena

A 35-year-old woman has filed a notice of claim with Eastport-South Manor Central School District accusing Charles Regan of rape and sexual assault when she was a student at Eastport High School from 1999-2002.

John Ray, the attorney representing the Riverhead High School student who late last month accused Regan, then principal at Riverhead High School, of sexual abuse, filed the notice of claim on behalf of the former Eastport student. Ray today released the notice of claim redacted to protect the woman’s identity.

The claimant is not willing to be publicly identified, according to the attorney.

The document accuses Regan of “grooming” the claimant from the age of 13, when she was a student at Dayton Avenue School, where Regan was a special education teacher and her basketball coach. He used sexual innuendo with the claimant and other female students and he sent the claimant “sexually charged” electronic messages, according to the notice of claim.

In the notice of claim, the woman accuses Regan of providing her with alcohol and demanding oral sex from her when she was 16 years old and took her to a Knicks basketball game in New York City without her mother’s knowledge or permission. She also says on at least three occasions when she was 17 years old, he engaged in sexual intercourse with her.

The document alleges that school officials were aware of Regan using sexual innuendo with female students.

It also states that the woman’s mother provided school officials with Regan’s electronic messages to her daughter, but the district failed to take action or report the teacher’s behavior.

In a press release, Ray said the claimant will be seeking damages of $20 million.

At a May 6 press conference in his Miller Place office, where he made public charges by the Riverhead student, Ray said that he was aware of two former students at Eastport High School who had been victimized by Regan, but he was unable to provide any details.

Regan was hired by Riverhead as an assistant principal at the high school in 2006.

“Eastport administrators knew of this. They did nothing. Now, this is finally coming to light. There are other student victims and employees. This is certain,” Ray said. “We urge them to have the courage to come forward now.”

Eastport-South Manor school district did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Riverhead High School senior Anastasia Stapon, 18, has filed a $10 million notice of claim against the Riverhead Central School District alleging sex abuse and sexual assault by Regan.

Riverhead Central School District did not reply to a request for comment for this story.

District officials have said they immediately and aggressively took action to remove Regan from his post and school property, administratively reassigning him to his home, and immediately made all required reports of the allegations to police and state authorities.

An attorney for the school district this week said the district is conducting a thorough investigation and will make a decision on possible disciplinary charges against Regan by the end of this school year.

Regan could not be reached for comment.

Notice of Claim re Charles Regan – ESM by RiverheadLOCAL on Scribd

This story is free to read thanks in part to the generous support of readers like you. Keep local news free. Become a member today.

SHARE
Denise Civiletti
Denise is a veteran local reporter, editor, attorney and former Riverhead Town councilwoman. Her work has been recognized with numerous awards, including investigative reporting and writer of the year awards from the N.Y. Press Association. She is a founder, owner and co-publisher of this website.Email Denise.