The Riverhead Central School District’s long-term business official will be hired by the East Hampton Union Free School District tonight, after being demoted and “reassigned” pending an investigation begun in October into an undisclosed allegation.
Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Operations Sam Schneider, who was hired by Riverhead in 2011 to run the district’s business affairs, will start as East Hampton’s assistant superintendent for business tomorrow if he is approved by the East Hampton Board of Education tonight, according to a meeting agenda posted online.
Schneider had been deputy superintendent in Riverhead, the district’s second highest administrator , before the position was abolished on Oct. 12, after which he was subsequently “administratively reassigned” and the investigation was opened.
Schneider said in a phone interview today if he is appointed by the East Hampton school board, he intends to submit a letter of resignation to Riverhead immediately thereafter. He declined to comment on Riverhead’s investigation.
Superintendent Augustine Tornatore said if the letter is submitted by Schneider it will be accepted by the Board of Education at its March 8 meeting.
Currently the district’s business duties are being performed by Acting Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Operations Faith Caglianone, who was hired on an “as-needed basis” on Dec. 1 at $100 an hour. The district hired an “acting business official,” Herb Chessler, prior to hiring Caglianone. Chessler resigned after she was hired.
Since Caglianone’s hiring, district officials have said little about the investigation into Schneider or his “reassignment,” often refusing to answer questions posed by both reporters and active community members at Board of Education meetings, citing the subject as a personnel matter, of which they are unable to speak.
The district hired Volz & Vigliotta, a law firm in Nesconset that often represents school districts in litigation, to conduct the investigation into Schneider, Board President Laurie Downs said in October. Tornatore did not confirm whether the investigation into Schneider has been closed.
“As a district, we are doing our due diligence to ensure that our investigation is thoroughly completed regardless of Mr. Schneider’s employment status,” Tornatore said today.
The school district hired Nawrocki Smith, a regional accounting firm in Melville, to conduct a forensic audit of the district’s financial records on Nov. 1. Tornatore said the audit was a part of the investigation into Schneider, but it was mainly about “restructuring this business office so that it runs most efficiently.” He said the district will soon receive recommendations from the firm to restructure the office, adding that along with Schneider leaving, a few employees are also retiring.
“That will help as we look to rebuild the business department,” he said.
Tornatore refused to say what Scheinder’s duties were during his “reassignment.”
“I could certainly say that I appreciate the work and effort that has come in from the two people who have been assisting us during this transition time,” he said.
The Board of Education approved a settlement agreement on Jan. 25 concerning a “certified member of the staff.” Tornatore refused to say whether the settlement agreement was related to Schneider’s employment in the district. The meeting’s agenda does not have an attachment to a written agreement.
“I wish him the best in his new position and I wish him the best of luck,” Tornatore said about Schneider.
The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.























