People began arriving at the festival in spite of the threatening skies and for a while it seemed like the weather would hold up.
Photo: Denise Civiletti

Vendors, bands, entertainment and arriving visitors were all geared up for the 2017 debut of the Alive on 25 street festival this evening in downtown Riverhead, but Mother Nature had other plans.

Just before the 5:30 start time, it began to rain. Organizers, vendors and people who had arrived hoping for an evening of outdoor summer fun — many carrying umbrellas just in case — hoped for the best. Then a thunderstorm rolled in, lightning sizzling in the darkened sky and rainfall became a downpour.

“It looked good for a while,” Riverhead BID president Steven Shauger said. But then the second cell moved in with lightning and we had to call it,” he said.

There were eight bands booked to play tonight’s event outdoors. They quickly packed away their equipment when the rain began to fall.
Photo: Denise Civiletti

Band members and their crews scurried to protect their equipment from the weather and vendors worked quickly to pack up their wares.

Then, as suddenly as it started, the rain stopped. The passing storm cooled down what had been a steamy, sweltering afternoon. Some vendors wondered aloud whether organizers had pulled the plug prematurely. But those ruminations were barely off their lips when black clouds pushed in overhead and flashes of lightning lit up the sky once more, followed by another downpour.

“We’re shooting to use the rain date on Aug. 31,” Shauger said. There are four planned festival Thursdays, once every two weeks, with one rain date for the season on Aug. 31. “We need to bounce that off everyone, but that’s the plan right now.”

Outdoor events like this are always “a crap shoot,” Shauger said.

The hot dog stand set up by Sunny’s Riverhead Diner and Grill.
Photo: Denise Civiletti

Cancellations are rough on outside food vendors, Shauger said. “But walking along Main Street tonight, all the restaurants were packed, so it worked out well for downtown businesses.”

“Most people were in good spirits,” he said.

Among them were Sunny and Jim Liszanckie, owners of Sunny’s Rivehead Diner and Grill on East Main Street. They had set up a hot dog stand in front of their restaurant — and even sold a few dogs before the thunderstorm shut things down.

“We’ll be having some great specials on dishes made with franks in the next few days,” Sunny Liszanckie said, laughing.

Her husband said he didn’t open that many packages. “We’ll be back in two weeks,” Jim Liszanckie said. “Looking forward to it.”

Sunny’s Riverhead Diner and Grill co-owner Jim Liszanckie said he’s looking forward to the next Alive on 25 event July 27. Photo: Denise Civiletti
A juggler walked along Main Street in search of an audience.
Photo: Denise Civiletti
These two were unfazed by the threatening skies.
Photo: Denise Civiletti


We need your help.
Now more than ever, the survival of quality local journalism depends on your support. Our community faces unprecedented economic disruption, and the future of many small businesses are under threat, including our own. It takes time and resources to provide this service. We are a small family-owned operation, and we will do everything in our power to keep it going. But today more than ever before, we will depend on your support to continue. Support RiverheadLOCAL today. You rely on us to stay informed and we depend on you to make our work possible.

Denise Civiletti
Denise is a veteran local reporter, editor, attorney and former Riverhead Town councilwoman. Her work has been recognized with numerous awards, including investigative reporting and writer of the year awards from the N.Y. Press Association. She is a founder, owner and co-publisher of this website.Email Denise.