The Peconic Riverfront Tuesday morning. Photo: Peter Blasl

Riverhead escaped largely unscathed from yesterday’s nor’easter.

“Thank God it wasn’t snow,” Riverhead Police Chief David Hegermiller said this morning. Things were pretty quiet across town, the chief said.  About an inch of rain fell locally, according to the National Weather Service. Wind gusts topped out at about 46 mph. A coastal flood warning remains in effect until 11 a.m.

“We did very well,” Riverhead Town Supervisor Sean Walter said. There were no reports of major property damages, downed trees in the road or major flooding, he said.

“The most exciting thing that happened was that power line fire on Main Street,” Walter said. He said he happened to be driving west on Main Street at that time and was one of the first people at the scene. “It was pretty wild,” he said.

A live power line had been pulled down onto the roadway when a nearby utility poles snapped and broke at around 5 p.m. yesterday. The fire was very close to buildings and at least one parked car. Riverhead Fire Department responded to the scene to protect nearby properties but had to wait for PSEG to arrive and de-energize the line before firefighters could extinguish the flames. No one was injured and the nearby buildings were not damaged, he said.

Highway Superintended George Woodson said this morning he had not been notified of any downed trees blocking roadways and there had not been any major flooding.

The downtown riverfront was flooded at yesterday’s high tides and water was covering Heidi Behr Way and about half of the parking lot adjacent to it early this morning, Woodson said.

High tide on the river will be about 10 a.m. today, so the water level in the parking lot will continue to rise. The lot and Heidi Behr Way will remain closed until further notice. Riverhead police officers were attempting to locate the owners of vehicles that were still parked in the lot this morning, most of them near the Summerwind apartment building.

Photo: Peter Blasl

“Other than that,” Woodson said, “there was flooding here and there — minor stuff.”

Highway crews would be clearing a limb from South Jamesport Avenue this morning, he said.

“We’ve been pretty aggressive with tree-trimming, getting rid of the dead stuff,” Woodson said. “Between what we’ve done and PSEG’s trimming program, which has also been very aggressive, it’s made a big difference. People don’t realize how much that helps.”

PSEG Long Island said this morning that since the storm arrived on Monday, the utility has restored service to more than 17,00 customers island-wide. As of 8 a.m. there were 1,561 customers still without power, according to PSEG’s website. In Riverhead Town, all but a handful of customers in Wading River had power restored.

To report downed wires or power outages, call PSEG-LI at 1-800-490-0075. Customers can report outages by logging into their PSEG Long Island account online or by texting “OUT” to PSEGLI (773454). The utility’s website includes an outage map that’s updated every 15 minutes and displays the location and status of power outages in PSEG’s service area.

RiverheadLOCAL photos by Peter Blasl

The survival of local journalism depends on your support.
We are a small family-owned operation. You rely on us to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Just a few dollars can help us continue to bring this important service to our community.
Support RiverheadLOCAL today.

Denise is a veteran local reporter, editor, attorney and former Riverhead Town councilwoman. Her work has been recognized with numerous awards, including investigative reporting and writer of the year awards from the N.Y. Press Association. She is a founder, owner and co-publisher of this website.Email Denise.